About Me

My photo
Shady Cove, OR, United States
I am a wife and mother,...I have been married to the love of my life for almost 16 years,...my son is 22 and my daughter is 15,...they are my greatest accomplishment My family is my reason for everything,...

Monday, March 28, 2011

Moving back to Oregon

In 2003, we decided to move back to my home state and open a cabinet shop.  It had always been a  dream of my husbands to go into business for himself.  When he was just out of high school he had worked a few years in a cabinet shop in Redding, CA and really wanted to do something similar for himself.  After turning wrench for almost 11 years, he was ready to live his dream.  We sold our house and relocated our family.

I was happy to be back in my stomping grounds, so to speak, and it definitely proved to be a viable opportunity for us to start our own business.  The construction industry was booming and it was much simpler to obtain a contractors license in Oregon rather than California.  We officially opened for business on January 14, 2004 and hit the ground running.

For almost three years there was no stopping us.  We were pulling in a decent income finally, and had a crew of five employees that worked in the shop.  As hectic as it was most days, it was very rewarding knowing that we had done it! Then, almost as quickly as it started for us, it ended.  The economy turned abruptly and we found the general contractors we had contracts with losing their funding/ investors, filing bankruptcy and we were the last, as a small subcontractor, holding the bag,....we had thousands and thousands of dollars wrapped up in purchased material, finished product and outstanding invoices.  We weren't able to recoup and ended up having to liquidate what we had left to just support ourselves.  We were devastated to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment